The switch is complete. Let the unrestrained mp3 blogging begin - after I finish this last batch of work. Until then, and in honour of my newfound server space, I've got a high bandwidth junglist treat cued up for the massive (Small massive, anyway. I put it at about 24).
This hour and a half set was recorded the first week of January 1997, just at the tale end of that magical period kicked off by the likes of Remarc. It features Dbo General (of Arsonist fame) alongside DJ Dynamite spinning back-to-back with DJ Marcus on his long-running CIUT Radio show The Prophecy
This is one of my all time favourite sets, largely because I find Dbo so engaging. I haven't heard much else from him, but I would guess from his performance that he cut his teeth on the UK pirate scene. He ranges from straight up roughneck to funny: "This one goes out to Mary, clearly X. Lookin for a pizza." I guess he got hungry.
The selectors come correct as well. Dynamite plays loads of material from Flex when the label was in its prime. It's hard to tell when the DJs switch off, but Marcus gets a couple of T-dot tracks into the mix as well.
mp3 - Dbo General/DJ Dynamite/DJ Marcus - CIUT Prophecy Mix 1
mp3 - Dbo General/DJ Dynamite/DJ Marcus - CIUT Prophecy Mix 2
Last note: If anyone can identify the track with the grimey bass by Dego McFarlane at the very end of the second mp3 I would be enormously grateful.
We Love Roll Call
These people are making me happy.
- For her defense of Wiley against all manner of idiotic criticism. Chantelle is really on fire these days. I wish she'd come hang out at Dissensus.
- For his amazing piece on his father and his children. December has similar connotations for me and this piece really struck a chord. Nick has an uncommon ability to blog his musical notions in combination with thoughts on family in the most natural way. The photo was fantastic.
- Even when he's busy he still takes the time to hook us up with the newest and latest grimeyness.
- Who's gone "a bit crazy with the almost coherent posts recently." Big up ya chest.
- For coming back with keyboards blazing.
- For a stunning entry into the blogosphere.