Jan 22, 2005

Winter Music

Gloryfying in darkness, Dark Side understands that, like ecstasy, dread arises from a sense that former certainties are mutable. That's why horror texts, which belong to what James Donald has called 'the vulgar sublime,' speak most powerfully in times of unease.


Read: Page 1, Page 2

I'm sick. So I'm going to let someone else do the writing. Linked above is a piece on Dark Side written by Mar(k-punk) Fisher for the New Statesman & Society in 1994. Describing Dark's "displace[ment] of dread into celebration," Fisher posits horror as a more apt ontological frame than realism in a society spiraling into violent social decay. Conceptually, this is what I find most compelling about Dark Side - the way it ceded to the morbidity of the era, confronting darkness and celebrating through it, rather than despite it. I'd say America looks ripe for the spawning of its own Dark Side equivalent, but I won't hold my breath (more on that later). For now, at least, old time Darkness remains my soundtrack for the sensory hell that is winter in Ottawa.

"For all those who still don't know where they are..."

mp3 - Bay B Kane "Hello Darkness" (Remix)
For me "Hello Darkness" evokes alien logics and those shady creatures sensed but unseen around the edges of psychedelic states. It's like peeking into their carnival of the dark - distorted shadows bouncing in a cathartic marching dance. They chant and scream. Then MC GQ echoes in with an incantation/command. I guess if heard at the AWOL, this might be the moment when hallucination and physical environment would collide and shatter the ego into incommensurable bits.

mp3 - Rhythm for Reason "Music in Search of Light"

Er, this song's really good too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Westphal said...

You've got a cool blog. Check this out. free music download web site

4:00 AM

 
Blogger emily from blog articles said...

Hi paul autonomic,

One of the categories in my article directory is Arts and Entertainment ... while searching for blogs on music, I discovered " Winter Music ".

We all know that the best content on the internet is created by bloggers ... unbiased first hand knowledge, experiences and opinions.

As someone who may be interested in music, I believe you will find our Arts and Entertainment section to be of interest. I am always looking for bloggers to contribute articles and help me to build the directory to everyone's benefit. As a contributor, you get the recognition of having your article published and seen by thousands of web users. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

Not all of us are gifted with the ability to write to professional standards of grammatical correctness ... as a result, many bloggers don't bother to have their articles published.

I welcome an informal style of writing that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I also appreciate articles that are uniquely based on your individual experiences, talents and ideas. All I request is that your content does not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.

Without any obligation ... please come over and have a look at my blog articles directory for yourself.

Best Regards
Emily

8:05 AM

 
Blogger 性爱 said...

I am totally nude come see me. Take a bit for all pics and movies to load.

Why do I do this I like to make men blow their jiz in their pants.

Visit me.裸体

8:25 PM

 
Blogger Vinny said...

Marvelous job! The content delivered was very useful. I am hoping you carry on with the good work accomplished.
hollywood locksmith
Locksmith In Nashville
Locksmith Cupertino CA
RedwoodCity locksmith
Locksmith Santa Clara
Palo Alto locksmith
locksmith hialeah
locksmith hialeah
locksmith miami
locksmith Aventura FL
Locksmith Mesquite
locksmith hialeah
hialeah locksmith
locksmith pembroke pines fl

7:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home